Why the Baby Café Model Works
All Baby Café Sites are:
FAQs for Professionals
What do I need to do to start a Baby Café?
- Register your interest (bottom of this page- you'll be emailed an Information Starter Kit)
- Find someone to sponsor your Baby Café (sample proposal included in Information Starter Kit)
- Find Funding- Staff is paid the going rate for hours worked at Café sessions (suggested Funding Sources)
- Find a public-access location (most are donated spaces ie: churches, libraries, YMCAs)
- Find Staff to cover Cafe sessions, including back-up for emergencies (Guidelines included in the Information Starter Kit)
- Be able to meet the licensing agreement standards (see below: Application Support Documentation)
What does it cost to open and operate a Baby Café?
- Application is free
- Initial license is $750 (includes training of staff)
- Annual license renewal is $150
- Lower cost for Cluster Model sites (see document at bottom of this page)
- Operating costs range from $8,000 to $20,000 per year, depending on the pay rate of your staff and Tier of your Café
- Extra costs you may have:
- Marketing, Snacks, Improvements to space, Scale
- We recommend budgeting at least $1000 to start up
WHAT IS THE APPLICATION and LICENSING PROCESS?
- Fill out Application Form (see Sample Application Form at bottom of page)
- Receive approval
- Pay the invoice and sign the Licensing Agreement
- Receive License Certificate and bound Toolkit
- Schedule and attend the training delivered via Webcast from BCUSA
- Open the Baby Café
- Have a Grand Opening (can be scheduled a few months after a soft opening)
MAY I SELL ITEMS AT THE CAFÉ?
No. Baby Cafés do not market or sell anything. If you use supplies like Nipple Shields, you may ask parents to leave a donation.
I HAVE A PRIVATE PRACTICE- MAY I book/perform those CONSULTS AT OR AFTER A CAFÉ?
No, Baby Café is a group format. You also may not self-refer for an issue needing one-to-one intervention. You may provide a list of local IBCLCs who offer private consults, and it may include you, or refer to your hospital’s outpatient department. You may also refer your private patients to your Café for free follow-up.
WHERE MAY I LOCATE A BABY CAFE?
In welcoming community-based donated spaces such as Hospital, Churches, Libraries, Milk Banks, YMCAs, Parent/child meeting areas, WIC Offices, Pediatrician/OB offices, and Chiropractor offices. We encourage creativity.
ARE THERE SPACES WHERE I CANNOT LOCATE BABY CAFE?
Spaces/places which advertise or promote a specific product, service, political, or culturally sensitive agenda. Contact us with any questions you may have regarding your application.
DO BABY CAFES PROMOTE OR DICTATE CERTAIN BELIEFS?
No. Baby Cafes never promote a certain religious, political, or parenting belief. They are structured as an open-forum discussion, guided by evidence-based practice. Their purpose is to help parents reach their own breastfeeding and/or chestfeeding goals.
IS BABY CAFÉ USA ASSOCIATED WITH ANY OTHER ORGANIZATION?
Baby Café USA is a free-standing organization and receives no funding or backing from any other organization, business, or political party. We are a WHO-code compliant organization.
Would you like to learn more or apply?
To receive a Baby Café Information Starter Kit and/or to connect with a Baby Café Administrator, fill out the enquiry form below:
Ready to Apply ... Please first download and review the Application Support Documents listed below and then select the Launch Baby Café Application button to open the on-line Baby Café application :
Baby Cafés are free, drop-in, informal breastfeeding support groups offering ongoing professional lactation care and intervention. Most are open for 2 hours at least once a week. Some communities have more than one Café, each holding meets on different days of the week.
Baby Café USA is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization supporting the development of licensed U.S. Baby Cafés. Registered Non-profit No. 80-0787743